IN THE NEWS - 26 Oct 1922 - Former Greek American U.S. Soldier Spurns Decorations Awarded by France


BISBEE DAILY REVIEW
Bisbee, Arizona

26 October 1922

-----

Former U.S. Soldier
Spurns Decorations Awarded by France

PITTSBURG, PA - Oct. 25 - CHRIST A. MELETIS of Pittsburg, who served in France with the 28th division and was wounded six times, today returned to President Millerand of France the Croix de Guerre and citation which had been conferred upon him by the French government.

"A good bit of me is left in France but the wounds I received from the enemy were nothing in comparison to the wounds received when I learned that France was helping the Turk," said Meletis' letter which exemplified the decorations.  "I am doing this to express to you and your government my personal disapproval of the policy of France in the Near East."

Meletis is vice-president of the Greek-American world war veterans, recently organized here.





Comments